POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Jul 2008 11:32:48
Message: <487f6620@news.povray.org>
>> Presumably Word crashes like hell for everybody else too,
>
> No.

Are you seriously suggesting that there are people for whom Word doesn't
crash?

>> (Last time I tried it, my copy of Word ended up permanently broken
>> until I erased my normal template and deleted a chunk of my per-user
>> registry.)
>
> Never heard of that before.  Put your pointer inside a heading, then
> click the arrow next to that little box that says "Normal" at the top,
> and choose "Heading 1".  Do that for all the titles.  Then, to change
> that style, go to Format->Styles, click the little menu arrow next to
> the one you want to change and "Modify...".  ANd then, once you've made
> your changes, it applies them to everything in the document with that
> style!!!!  Clever eh?

I guess my mistake was in attempting to *change* the default styles. You
know, permanently. Seemed to screw up just about everything Word-related.

On the other hand, having to spent 20 minutes changing all the ugly
style defaults to what *I* want them to be every single time I open Word
just seems like way too much work...

>> Well no, they start with a blank report document that contains all the
>> section headings and standard text, already formatted.
>
> So it's not blank then ;-)  Sounds to me like maybe that document is
> corrupt somehow, so every single "new" document they make still is based
> on this corrupt file.  Try, just once, opening the file with "Open and
> repair" and then save it again.  Then get them to use this one in future.

The documents built from this "blank report" document are reasonably
reliable. The ones built from customer-supplied templates tend to crash
incessently. So yes, I would imagine these templates are corrupted.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/